Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11....what else?

At the risk of getting my ass kicked and being called a bad American, I will throw out my two cents about 9/11. 

First and foremost I can't believe it's been 10 years. I'm more saddened by this fact because time seems to be flying at lightning speed and things are passing us by so quickly and yet we are still in the same spot we were 10 years ago. 

I can't comment on WHY the terrorist attacks happened without sounding like I support terrorist attacks. All I'll say is, this nation needs to take a long hard look at itself when every other country seems to despise Americans and our actions. We definitely dabble in some business we have absolutely no right to dabble in...or perhaps we should just stay out of it. Just because we CAN put on a war, doesn't mean we SHOULD. 

I've openly expressed my disagreement on this war, that 10 years later, has solved absolutely nothing. It has murdered hundreds of thousands of soldiers that aren't fighting for OUR freedom, but the "freedom" of a nation that doesn't want help or change. 

I have a completely different strategy in solving terrorist attacks but it's neither popular nor should be discussed in public. You don't go trying to figure out what's wrong (and how to fix) the kid that comes and stomps your sand castle, you beat the living crap out of him and his little cronies. I'm just saying. 

All that said, 9/11 was tragic no doubt. Thousands of innocent people died for absolutely nothing. They died trying to save others that probably pushed someone out of their way just to save themselves. Just like any other tragic event, I feel a lot of Americans have an almost insincere amount of feeling of sadness and patriotism on days like today. I feel for the families of the people who died, but I also feel anger towards the entire event. It shouldn't have happened. It should have been prevented.

I'm no politician or a person of power or even a person in some sort of defense agency, therefore I cannot give advice on HOW it should have been prevented. But one would think the millions and billions we spend on supporting those people in power, they would do their best at keeping all eyes and ears open for potential threats. Which apparently came numerous times prior to the attacks. 

I could really write a novel on this topic, but I won't. I hate politics and I'm allergic to designated days of "remembrance" and half assed attempts at trying to smooth things out with the public...BY the public.

You're right, we will never forget. Some won't forget the sensationalist stories. Others won't forget what they think they saw. I won't forget the tears of absolute fear in the eyes of my mentor when he couldn't get ahold of his daughter who lived blocks away from ground zero. She was ok, but thousands of others weren't so lucky.

No amount of commercials, stickers on cars and status updates on Facebook will ever bring back some boy's firefighter father whom he never got the chance to meet because he was 3 months old when his father risked his life. Or the families that keep losing their children, fathers, mothers, and siblings to a war that will never end. 

It doesn't seem like it, but I sincerely hope this event taught this nation a heavy lesson. 

Let's try not to forget by bringing our bravest citizens home instead of perpetuating our losses. 

1 comment: