Monday, February 21, 2011

Ethics.

Ethics....and morals. Do these things really apply when you want to be a good writer? I mean, its one thing if you spray dirt on someone that seemingly doesn't deserve it. But where is the line between putting someone down and just writing life experiences that occur on a day to day basis?

I find myself constantly holding back on topics because they involve people who are in my life every day and the things we do and things we experience together. Events and things that occur on a daily basis that make up my life, are somehow subject to filtering because I don't yet know how to draw that ethical and moral line between keeping things private but also writing about my life....in pieces, just as the name of this blog suggests. Some of the world's greatest writers and artists are people who blur this line and push boundaries.

It's all a work in progress. One day, I'll either hold back at the right time or write something absolutely brilliant and still be respected.

Only time will tell.

1 comment:

  1. i think the key to great journalism is to provide a clear truth and let the readers decide what they will...your words have the power to paint someone either villain or hero. the trickery of the situation is to portray them as people instead.

    the key (to me) of a great writer is someone who can hold my attention and that in itself means being a great storyteller. and every story needs a hero and villain.

    which one are you?

    ReplyDelete