Saturday, February 5, 2011

Promises kept

Sometime last year in the midst of feeling like my life was slipping away from my control and feeling like that light at the end of the tunnel was a giant freight train about to smash me to smithereens, I had a talk with myself. I seem to do that a lot. Anyway, this talk was real, genuine, and sincere. I had returned from yet another doctor's appointment with zero answers and even less energy and desire to keep living, let alone looking for answers that nobody seemed to give a crap about finding. I had been called a liar, a hypochondriac, and been told that I'm fine and everything is in my head.
I sat and cried because I seemed to be the only one that knew and believed that something was indeed wrong and nobody was going to help me figure it out. I made a promise to myself to not only not give up looking for a doctor that would help me figure things out but once I did figure things out, I would make a goal to participate in some sort of marathon or triathlon.

So there it is. A promise to myself. I found a doctor that gave a crap and is helping me pick my life up from the earth. I'm feeling better every day. The next step is to fulfill my other promise.

Today, I looked up perspective triathlons. I hate running so I figured I can find a sprint triathlon instead of just a boring marathon. This way the swimming and biking could keep my brain occupied and entertained enough to ignore the fact that I need to RUN.

This is just the first step. Now I need to pick a goal date and start training for it. It seems most triathlon training programs take at least 15-23 weeks. I'll be doing it on my own, since nobody else really deserves to help me now. I took the steps to getting better on my own, I want to train on my own and finish this on my own and as a thank you to both, myself and my doctor that took the time to listen to me.

There is a sprint triathlon in the San Francisco Bay area every year on or around my birthday. It's impressive but unrealistic to train for this year...but next year, I am there. It will be a mile stone for not just my health but also my 30th year of life on this earth. Scary. But what better way to do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment