Thursday, February 10, 2011

you are your own worst obstacle

No jokes here.

We are literally the only thing that stands between seeing what you want in life in the distance and sprinting towards in with lighting speed. We set up our own obstacles, sometimes so great that we believe they are absolutely not passable. Whether its your self doubt, your laziness or your lack of fight, its all within your hands.

I can't say that I'm anywhere near out of the woods with my obstacles, but I do know that I have climbed over some huge walls in the past year to get just to the start line of this course. When I started I was broken mentally, emotionally and most of all physically. I had no fight in me. The combination of medical issues made me weak in every way I can describe. Some of the lows were the worst days of my life where nothing really mattered anymore. I barely got up, I barely ate, I refused to see or talk to anyone and refused for anyone to see me this way. One good morning, I decided in my mind with my last few ounces of energy that I had to start fighting or I would end up dead. No beating around that bush. I didn't want to live like that anymore. I decided to clear one obstacle at a time. To climb that wall every day even if I fell off daily and had to cry and get back up. My biggest challenges came not from fighting myself, but fighting for what I knew was right and what I had to convince others in. Doctors, friends, even my parents. With patience and perseverance and support (the support I had to drop my pride for and ask) I started to familiarize myself with each obstacle and little by little I made it through them. . After a muddy mountain I saw some light. I began to want things in life again. To think about the future and what it would entail for me. I had no idea. I had a clean slate. A new start. A new DESIRE to live.

I'm not here to preach or run a sermon, I'm just here to tell you that it takes only your own mind to live the life you deserve. When you realize that its only within you, that's when you will crawl to your first challenge and grab on to what you can to get through it.

Start fast, start slow....just START.

No comments:

Post a Comment