Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Through thick and "ugh I can't stand you"

"You're with someone for like 2 weeks in and you're like, "Fuck, no way. I can't stand this person. I'll stay around for 5-6 years and we can end this thing violently, I got time." - Dane Cook

My parents made me think of this today. Granted they are from a different country and cultures are obviously different when it comes to dating, but there's something to say about people who stay married for 35+ years and bicker and argue daily. 
There's nothing they can do at this point. Divorce is just silly in their case and not arguing would be like a heavy smoker suddenly quitting cold turkey. 

I wonder about the new couples that stay in relationships when they clearly both know it's not working nor will it EVER work. There's no shame in calling it quits before you start hating each other. And really, it works in all sorts of relationships. Casual, professional, romantic. Why drag something through dirt just to have it end in chaos? 
I'm only throwing my two cents because I've been there way too many times. I'm a romantic at heart and feel like EVERY relationship is savable...or at least it should be. I will do everything in my power to save something just so I know I didn't give up on something that could have been. When in reality very few relationships are actually worth digging your heels in and fighting for.  

What I'm trying to say is maybe next time instead of having a crazy ex if you let go in time you may end up with a great friend for life.

2 comments:

  1. That is great to aim for but I think hard to achieve. (Speaking as one with many colorful ex stories.)

    That said I think it's never too late to say "enough is enough" life is given to us for a short time, I don't believe in wasting it on something that will never give happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Megs. Too many people hang on for so many wrong reasons and end up miserable. Just saddens me...seems the harder one tries to keep things peaceful the harder it is.

    ReplyDelete