Saturday, November 6, 2010

10 years ago

Remember when you're in high school and in your senior year of English class your teachers ask you to write about where you see yourself in 10 years?

Right now would be that 10 year mark and I must say, I am far from the person I pictured myself to be 10 years ago. Not in any bad way, I'm just nothing like the person I thought I would be. I thought for sure I'd be married with a few kids. I never thought that at 28, I wouldn't feel "ready" to be a parent. It seemed like such a long time from 28 back then. I thought it was enough time to take over the world!

It amazes me how much my interests, tastes and general outlook on life have changed since my senior year of high school. In college I changed majors 3 times. Having picked business as my major, I now wonder if I cut myself short of a much more interesting career choice. I started off wanting to be a forensic investigator, then switched to biology, and crashed into the business program with ease. 

Although business seems like a steady and secure field of study, I often regret not finishing the forensic studies. I'm absolutely fascinated by the line of work. And biology...well, that just came easy to me. I have an incredible ability to remember things in lectures without even taking notes, and absorbing material was always a breeze for me. I literally could read a page, close my eyes and recite the entire thing back to you.

Who knows, maybe it's not too late to apply my real interests and pursue a degree in forensics or figure something out with biology. 

Just a thought...

2 comments:

  1. It's cliche, but it really is never too late. That constriction only exists within the fear inside of you (or inside of what other people might tell you). You only get one life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally still get into another line. Just think that if you don't retire until around 70ish, you've got what, like, 40+ years to do somethine you'd enjoy more. (Btw, this line of thought is what helps me not panic that I haven't finished my Psych degree. >sigh<) I say, pull the thread on this train of thought and see where it takes you!

    ReplyDelete