Thursday, November 25, 2010

Smells like the holidays are here

I am entirely too awake for 3am. I think sleeping til noon this "morning" didn't help matters. I couldn't get up any earlier because when I opened my eyes at my usual 8am, I felt like someone put crazy glue in my eyes and ran my body over with a cement roller. So I listened to my body and stayed put. After finally rolling out of bed it was time to get cooking on some of the thanksgiving dishes. Last trip to the store to pick up the ingredients for the home made corn bread and some wine, and we were ready to roll. 

I'm not much of a "house-broken" wife kind, but there are certain times where I can't help but be super domestic. I got slightly discouraged from cooking in my last relationship because my ex insisted on ALWAYS being right and starting fights over ridiculous shit that never mattered...like if the oil needs to go in a cold pan or a hot pan...I digress. Point is, it's taken me nearly 4 years to get back to ENJOYING cooking. 

So there it was, Terminator 2 on tv, best friend sitting at the bar cursing at the computer as she works on her photography, the "kids" sitting just next to anywhere I stood in the kitchen just in case I dropped anything they could vacuum up, and me...covered in flour, making the corn bread, the marshmallow yams and my favorite: dual colored jello cups! It wasn't so much the final products that made the night, as it was the process and the amazing smells making us drool the entire day. 

Can't wait to go to the ranch tomorrow and eat for hours, ride horses, ride bikes, grill something (anything), test the hammock, eat some more and enjoy the best things in life...family and the best of friends anyone can wish for and receive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment