Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Serenity

Sometimes life throws lemons your way, sometimes it throws obstacles, and other times it throws shitty people in your general direction. 

I'm first to admit that many times in the past I've let all those things get to me and bring me down. I've also come to realize those things don't define ME as a person, therefore it's stupid to dwell on them. If there is something I can do to change a situation, that's the only time my efforts and determination matter. There is no sense in trying to fight off something that is unchangeable. You either accept it or move on from it. When it comes to people in your life there is absolutely no sense in trying to make anyone see things your way, or trying to change anything. People are the way they are. They will either accept you for you and try to understand you...or they won't. Period. It's a sad fact because my entire life I've done everything to give people a million chances to be a friend. Forgiving and forgetting shitty things said and done...only to be used and abused in return. I'm not saying I'm changing who I am, but the chances to fuck me over and move on are far less available to people now. It's better for me and in the end it's better for everyone. 

I revert to the all known prayer: "...grant me the serenity 
to accept the things I cannot change; 
The courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference." 

I have the serenity to accept things, I have the courage to change the things I can...all I need now is the wisdom.

2 comments:

  1. “Nobody controls me. I’m uncontrollable. The only one who can control me is me, and that’s just barely possible.”
    -John Lennon

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are living a perfect example of one of my favorite quotes by Mahatma Gandhi right now:

    "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

    Sending love and support as you sand away the unnecessary and unworthy parts/people in your life. It does take courage to allow yourself to move forward in this direction, and I admire you all the more for it.

    Love,
    Auty

    ReplyDelete