Sunday, November 28, 2010

Gina and The Eastern Block

Another night of ears ringing (guess I haven't learned my lesson with ear plugs yet). 

This was quite possibly the best show I've seen in all of 2010. After spending the entire day contemplating going to the show, at 10:30 I finally decided I'll drag myself out. And I've never been happier that I forced myself out. 

We went to support a friend, Gina, in her debut solo project called "Gina and the eastern block". I had zero idea what this was about. This tiny firecracker hit the stage with a mic stand, a drummer, a guitar player stacked with guitar pedals to the ceiling..and a sample box. Simplicity. This trio made so much amazing noise that my jaw was ajar the entire 30 minute set. I was mesmerized by the drummer Mark (who has previously played with Mila Jovavich). I've never been one to stand at the front of the crowd and today I found myself there...being absolutely massaged from head to toe by earth shattering beats. I've been trying to figure out to what i can compare this style of music...and I really have nothing. The rawness of the drums coupled with the massively distorted guitar and gina's raspy voice...I can only say that I felt like I was transported to a small pub in London somewhere watching the best local talent rock the house. No words left. I walked out of the viper room still nodding my head to songs I just fell in love with...happier than I've been in a few months. Thank you Gina and you easy on the eyes eastern block boys. I'll be looking forward to the next show!

4 comments:

  1. Very Cool review.
    Bummer i couldn't make it. Keep me posted

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Keep us posted about the next time they play!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great show I must agree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I AGREE!! AWESOME SHOW! She is the best. The music was incredible and the performance even better. We'll definitely go again!!

    ReplyDelete