Sunday, November 21, 2010

All fee'd out

Here's a little story about me having exactly $4 in cash and going in to a CVS to buy a case if water.

I walk in, and there it is. $3.88 with the CVS rewards card. Sweet. I bring the heavy ass pack to the register, swipe my rewards card, she rings me up and says "that's $5.08, please" to which I look at her...look back at the display of water with the sign as big as half my body that clearly reads "24 pack water $3.88" and then look at her and back at the sign...I do this until she realizes I mean "ummm hello?? I am reading that correctly, right? Did my card not go through?" She looks at me like I just had a space ship land on my head and goes "no, it went through, but you know there's a "convenience bottle" charge...it's $1.20". 

Nevermind the fact that I had to go to the car and get my wallet to pay with my card because, fuck me for wanting to actually use cash for once...and I only happened to have the $4.00 in my pocket. 

First of all, since when does having a bottle come with your purchased water a "convenience"?! Isn't the whole purpose of buying bottled water to have a BOTTLE of water?! Is there an option in buying my water and placing it straight into my body or maybe stashing some in my purse for later? Oh wait...that's called a water fountain! I'm PAYING for the BOTTLE in the first place! What the fuck am I paying a $1.20 for??

Why is this country plagued with fees for crap? Fees for things you'd never even come up with if you carried on a sober life. I'm gonna start charging people around me for the air I'm "conveniently" letting them breathe. Or how about renting out that lane you're in because hey what if I want to be in it at the same time and you're already in it? 

Next time, can I bring my own bottle container to CVS and just buy the $3.88 worth of liquid please? 

Retarded. That is the only word I have for this country's obsession with playing "let's charge fees and not tell anyone about them..nor give them a choice out". 

Time to switch to keeping my money under my mattress and getting water at the nearby well.

3 comments:

  1. this has been for years!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on board with your rage. It's like going to buy a new car and when you're all ready to sign the papers, it's suddenly $5,000 more. "Well, you DID want an engine in your vehicle, right? What, you want a driver's seat, too? Well, that's extra. There's also a convenience charge for a steering wheel, so you have the convenience of turning and not ramming straight into that concrete bridge abutment."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bottled water is no better than tap water. Buy a Sigg/Klean Kanteen/Nalgene and drink tap water. Buy a water filter if you don't like the taste of tap water.

    This will save you a lot of money in the long run and will eliminate all the waste of the plastic bottles. Even if you recycle the bottles, it's better to reduce the number of bottles consumed.

    ReplyDelete